Thursday, July 24, 2008

Quadrahousia

I got a scooter. Call it a mid-house crisis, a funny-money toy, or what you will. Got tired of getting into my rolling living room to get the mail.

The scooter, a -- get this -- Geniune Buddy, is, in a word,
 fun! (exclamation point included). Since having it, I'm simply happier. Each day, I get 20 minutes of sun and wind and smiles at the people I pass. Vampire no more, each night I dream about where I'm going to scoot the next day. I take the long way home, intentionally riding around the block, or around the lake, to get to the simplest place. I forget things at the store so that I have to go back. I stop by friends houses as I pass, just to be able to detour a little out of the way and prolong the ride. So, in addition to the fun, I sitting with friends drinking coffee in the afternoon, just enjoying.

Sometimes a toy is a toy, but in this case, it's a different life.

When we first bought the house, when Elicia sat crying on the kitchen floor about how ugly it was and I told her I would fix it and set out to do so, I first demo'd the room, ripping out the old laminate cabinates and Z-brick faux-brink wall covering and the chocolate brown sink. It was August by then, and hot, and the sweat dripped down my face catching the whispy-fine strands of my hair and glueing them to my forehead. It was then, as I started to build back what i had ripped out, that I cut my hair buzz-cut short for the first time. I had always been a longhair, but the time had come. Myra came and cut it on the newly stained deck, and I proceeded to put down the backer board and hang the cabinets in what would be come our new kitchen.  My hair has been generally short since then, the moment of building back that house being a turing point of sorts.

Perhaps that's what this silly scooter is. Not to make too much of it, but sometimes it's just good to open a new door, to see things a different way, and it is not the thing that you do that is the change, but the new perspective you gain from having done it. 

I scoot through LA, where before I drove. I feel the sun on my suddenly vulnerable skin and the wind past my helmeted head. And I smile more.

No comments: